Become a Board Member!
By Vivian in RFB News on April 6, 2023
We are looking to add new members to the Richmond Food Bank Society’s Board of Directors. We care greatly about adding Board members that will help in the Society’s mission to be a caring organization that provides food assistance, advocacy and related support for community members in need.
Our aim is to have diversity on the Board and to be actively engaged in learning and shifting our practices to safeguard the interests of the Society. The Society’s Board is a governance board, as opposed to an operational board. While the day-to-day work of the organization is handled by a dedicated team of staff and volunteers, the role of Board members is to ensure that the Society stays true to its mission and meets its fiscal and legal requirements. All Board positions are volunteer and unpaid.
About the Richmond Food Bank Society
The Richmond Food Bank is a charitable nonprofit organization that provides nutritious food and related support to sustain health and well-being. Each week, our volunteers offer an array of fresh produce and other grocery items to over 2,200 individuals through 4 locations across Richmond. We offer a Grocery Distribution program, School Food programs to address hunger among students, a Home Delivery program, a Garden Program, and a Community Information and Resource service to connect our clients to outreach workers and community resources. The Richmond Food Bank is also a sharing hub for food and supplies to community meals, shelters, and other social service agencies that serve low-income and marginalized people.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Provides governance and fiduciary oversight to the Richmond Food Bank
- Makes a serious commitment to participate actively and thoughtfully with proper preparation
- Regularly attends monthly Board meetings (9 meetings per year)
- Commits to participate in at least one Board committee. This may include general committees or task forces in the areas of Finance, Human Resources, Governance, Public Relations & Fundraising, Risk Management, and Strategic Planning.
- Reviews and approves the Society’s annual budget
- Assists in drafting policies and protocols that aim at strengthening the organization’s strategies and operations
- Engages in strategic planning, including participation in an annual Board/Staff planning day
- Represents the Board by attending activities such as volunteer recognition events, Board/staff socials, and donor cheque presentations when possible
- Fulfills other Board assignments as appropriate and needed
- Board meetings are held on the third Wednesday of each month at 7:30pm, except for July, August and December (summer and winter breaks). Meetings are approximately 1-2 hours in length, with additional preparation work to review financial statements and activity reports.
- The time commitment for Board committees and task forces will vary depending on the issues and projects being tackled. While some Committees meet regularly (e.g. monthly, quarterly), others may meet on an ad hoc basis or communicate primarily through email.
- Most Board and Committee meetings are held virtually via Zoom.
- Extra events and activities are generally minimal, and subject to Board member interest and availability.
Skills, Experience & Outlook
- Values that are consistent with the Richmond Food Bank
- Knowledge and understanding of food security needs in Richmond
- A commitment to social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Expertise in areas such as advocacy, communications, community development, education, finance, fundraising, human resources, leadership, public health, risk management, strategic planning, and/or technology
- Experience on a Board of Directors or working with a Board of Directors
- Experience using Microsoft Office, One Drive or Google Drive
If you would like to be involved with the Richmond Food Bank at the governance level, please complete the application form and email it to email@example.com or drop it off at our office. An e-form version of this application form is also available by contacting the office at 604-271-5609 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions regarding the position may be directed to email@example.com.
Though we accept expressions of interest at any time, we aim to present a full Board slate at each Annual General Meeting where all Board members are elected to serve a one year term. This year’s AGM will be held on June 21, 2023. If you would like to be considered for the 2023/2024 term, please email us your application by April 30, 2023.
Thank you for your interest.