About Us- History

In 1982 several of the churches in Richmond recognized that there was a growing need to address hunger in the community and the Richmond Presbyterian Church started collecting food, stockpiling it for future use. Then in 1983 the St Alban’s Church called a meeting of all the churches and other interested parties to discuss how to distribute the food.

On March 6 1983 the Richmond Food Bank was opened in Howard De Beck School, staffed with St Albans and Richmond Presbyterian Church members. Twenty families were served that day.

Initial financial support for the Richmond Food Bank was provided by Progressive Contracting and John’s Husky at 3 Rd and Blundell. Progressive donated the use of a truck and $1000 each month and John’s Husky donated gas. Also, McGavin’s bakery donated as many as 300 loaves of bread each week.

In August of 1985 the Food Bank moved to the corner of Lynas Lane and Granville.

Our location at Lynas Lane

In August 1992 the move was made to #135 12417 No. 2 Road in the Steveston Industrial Park. Then in April 2002 we moved across the parking lot to #7 12491 No. 2 Road to a 50% larger location.

Our location at the southern end of No 2 Rd.

In late August 2007 we moved to our new home at 100 – 5800 Cedarbridge Way, a larger more centrally located site with better bus service.

5800 Cedarbridge Way

All the moves were made without missing a distribution day due to the hard work of the volunteers.